Thursday, April 21, 2011

And so I fell in love



Today, I was headed to a birthday party for all the kids in the Iris orphanage here born this month. So many of the kids here don't even have any idea what day their birthday is, even the ones that are almost grown up. And my favorite, Paulo this amazing little boy who was on one of the trucks, I asked him if I should jump on and come with him, and he said yes. So I hopped on the truck, and grabbed his hand. This little boy has so many health issues, it's unbareable, the doctors here think he may have Aids because of his constant health problems but he has tested negative. He has skin issues, and because of that it seems sort of hard for him to make his eyes open all the way a lot of times. His nose is constanly running to the point that the skin under his nose starts to bleed and get scabbed up Something in the United States we would be almost too disgusted to look at, especially during something like a meal. But that's where I met him, he came to me, sat by me, and become my friend. He gets made fun of a lot because of the way his nose is. But his heart is so gentle and kind, and you can see love in his eyes, and a desire to be loved. To have a Mama and a Papa.

As I rode in the back of the truck with him, holding his hand for the 20 minute car ride, he took his other hand and grabbed my arm, and laid his head on my stomach. And I began to think a lot about this little boy. And how I wish I could just take him home with me. There's so many kids here completely voiceless, they'll never grow up with any parents. They'll never experience what it's like to be loved in the one-on-one setting a child should experience with a parent. And I could feel him connecting to me in that way, and it was breaking my heart, as I started to fall in love with this little boy. In Mozambique the people who are on staff with Iris cannot even adopt the kids here, because the country hasn't been opened up so that people from outside the country cannot adopt. The reason why? Because the church won't step up. They don't really have a heart for the widow, and the orphan. A country like Mozambique so many people haven't even heard of, it hasn't even been on their radar. But if the church was actually doing what it was supposed to be doing, if people we actually wanting to have these amazing kids for their own here in Mozambique, I believe the governental laws would change. What if the church actually fuiled the adoption movement, what if there weren't anymore orphans in the world? What if abortion stopped because mother's knew if they kept their baby there would be loving parents for this little one? But I'm done with these “What if's”, I'm done with thinking about, and dreaming about. Wake up, step up, these little lives are craving love. It's time to stop being selfish and start being selfless. You have a future because Someone was willing to sacrifice their life in the greatest way possible, “no greater love than this that someone would lay down their life for a friend”. Would you do the same?

Later on in the day I had an Aids baby in my arms, and she's the happiest baby I ever did see. But she doesn't have what she needs, a solid home, loving parents. Something so many people could actually give to this little girl if they woke up from the American Dream.

Paulo walked up to me, and with the baby in one arm, and him taking my other hand, we walked toward the beach hand-in-hand. And I realized, I'm in love with these children.

Could you help change the lives of these little ones?

Help wake up America. Help wake up the church.

Leave your American Dreams behind, and pick up the dreams on God's heart.  

Wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment